Thursday, May 8, 2008

Big stretch coming up

How long before "there's still x % of the season left to be played" gets old? Don't get me wrong, I like the work they do over at Metsblog, and I understand the logic that we still have time to turn it around. But that doesn't mean I agree with it. I'm a solutions guy, and this doesn't add to the solution to me. Instead, I think it only compounds the problem.

How do we get people to stop justifying a season that has been disappointing so far? Win. Winning cures everything, its true. And we should be doing a lot of it in the coming weeks. The Mets have the Reds, Nationals, Yankees, Braves, Rockies, and Marlins coming up, in that order. Combined they are 94-110. When you consider the Marlins are overachieving to this point, that record should be worse.

The Mets should be able to take each of these series, and only the Braves and Yankees should give them trouble in doing so. They play 20 games in this stretch, and a 13-7 record or better should emerge. This takes us until the end of May, and would put the overall record at 30-22.

But if it isn't I know what I'll be hearing. There's still 68% of the season left to be played.

No comments: