Saturday, May 3, 2008

Well that was ugly

Whats going on Big Pelf? Remember earlier in the season when I called him a stopper? I did. I may have spoken too soon.






I don't know what's going on with Pelfrey. Watching my first full game since the last FOX game, it didn't look good. I turned it off to run to the store after the 5th, and missed the only good part of the game. Not a good Saturday afternoon for the Mets.



The main problem with Pelfrey is he's trying to get cute again. Trying to nibble on the corners again. The problem is he isn't that kind of pitcher. Mark Grace (who forgot to wear his Diamondbacks hat today) put it best when he said "You got that 97 mph fastball throw it. I wouldn't be messing around with a changeup, I'd put that right in my back pocket."



This comment was made during the first of the two walks, right after the Mets had taken a 1 run lead. Nothing is worse than walks, especially two leading off an inning. It's hard to come back from that. Pelf needs to go back to throwing the heat and having his pitches put in play, instead of trying to strike guys out on the corners. You're not Tom Glavine, take advantage of it.



All in all, this was a bad loss. However, Augie Ojeda isn't going to drive in 6 runs every game, and with Johan on the mound in a Billy Fuccillo game tomorrow, we should bounce back to take the series.


And a series win over a good D-Backs team would be more than huge. It would be humongous. Lets Go Mets.

No comments: