Friday, April 4, 2008

Blessing in Disguise

After a couple of days to mull over this Pedro injury, I've decided that this could be a good thing. I have reasons, and they're three-fold.

Now, El Duque and Big Pelf can battle it out in the regular season. I hate to talk about our guys competing with each other, especially once the real games start, but it's going to happen. And now we can see them both against big league hitters in games that count. Hopefully, their competition will also elevate their games to lessen the impact of Pedro's injury.

Not only that, but if Pedro can stay healthy from when he returns (I'm expecting June, even if it is supposed to be mid-May), he should be fresher in October. Let's call this the Moises Alou theory (channeling my inner Sports Guy).

Finally, this gives the team a chance to show their mental toughness and all this other junk the experts are questioning. A good run here shows that the Mets can bounce back when facing adversity, despite how last year ended.

Based on Thursday night, I think we're off to a pretty good start.

No comments: